A 34 year-old man was riding his bicycle on Abercorn in the early morning hours on July 18, 2018, when he was struck from behind by a vehicle. After striking the bicyclist, the vehicle continued after the crash and did not return. The bicyclist was taken to the hospital in serious condition according to the Savannah Police Department.   Our office regularly receives questions on what to do if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident.

What do you do if you are injured by a hit-and-run driver?

If you are able, call 911 and request the police to come to the scene and to request emergency medical services.  The importance of having a police report as soon after the incident as possible cannot be overstated.   The best time to gather evidence in any case is shortly after the incident occurs. During an investigation, the officer should take pictures, statements from witnesses, and potentially find the at-fault driver.  Further, medical treatment is a necessity in your recovering from your injuries and making sure you receive the treatment you need for your case.

Will insurance cover my health care expenses if I am injured as a result of a hit-and-run accident?

Georgia Law allows individuals to purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.  For detailed information about uninsured motorist coverage in Georgia click here.  If an individual does have uninsured motorist coverage, and is injured by the driver of any motor pool in Georgia,  here she may be able to recover through Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage. UM coverage would also cover a bicyclist who is hit by a vehicle in a hit-and-run.

The law firm of Jarrett & Price strongly encourages people to discuss UM coverage with their insurance provider and to obtain such coverage.